Friday, October 11, 2013

Playing Chicken on the ICW


For the most part, the other boaters we have passed on the ICW have been pretty courteous.  I did have three incidents of ICW chicken the other day.  I am not stereotyping BUT.....all three were motor cruisers -not sailboats.  At least two of the three had drafts shallower than our 6 ft draft.  In all three cases it was a relatively narrow part of the ICW and I was over as far as I could safely go.  Each time the southbound cruiser passed very close on the green side  - my side (as a northbound yacht).  Two of the three finally moved over a smudge (to the middle) at the last minute.  The third time this happened the southbound vessel didn't move over at all but continued to press the limits of the green side.  I basically stopped to keep from running aground.  I didn't call them before our passing because 1.  I thought they would move over at the last minute.  2.  I didn't know the correct terminology to use.  3.  I was pretty sure that regardless of whether I knew the correct terminology or not, I would use my own special colorful sailorgirl terminology possibly setting their ears on fire and risking a reprimand from the USCG.  I didn't call them after because see #4. 
USCG ship Diligence passed us today on the Cape Fear River - awesome
The next evening the topic came up just right and I had the change to ask fellow cruiser and knowledgeable waterway man David what I should have done.  He said the correct thing to do would be to get on the VHF radio, contact that captain and then state "Captain, I am restrained by my draft and over as far as I can safely be."  He said this states clearly my draft restriction for the record and puts me second in terms of hierarchy of vessels in a right of way situation - second only behind a vessel not under control/command.....or something close to that....it was a sundowner topic people!  Give me a break.  Anyway.... I was glad to pick up this little tidbit and thought I would pass it on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment