Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Bull Canyon

Reading was a challenge at times when both were around a couple of years ago
4-25-13 (Last week)  I woke up at 5am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep.  Getting up and doing something was not appealing so I read instead.  Generally when I wake up in the middle of the night like this (and 5am is still the middle of the night for us) I find if I read a bit, then I can go back to sleep.  However this time I couldn't.  My current book "Bull Canyon" had me wrapped up.  I was 80% of the way through reading it so I plowed ahead to finish around 7am.  Then I laid quietly reflecting and thinking about the book and our current life.  The life half way between land and sea - in flux.
Bull Canyon was written by Lin Pardey.  She and her husband Larry are lifelong world sailors, adventurers, authors, advisers, heroes and legends.  I will let you research them more on your own if you want.  Suffice it to say that most sailors -inland, coastal, world or armchair have heard and probably at least read an article or two by them at the very least.  We have two terrific DVD's -"Storm Tactics" and "Getting Ready to Cruise".
"Bull Canyon" is Lin's latest book, released in 2012.  To be honest, I wasn't terribly interested in reading it.  I am into stories about sailing, travel, far away places, not living in a stone cabin in the boonies without power, struggling to build a boat from scratch!  Whatever.  However, I bought it anyway via the Kindle - price was right.
Tom read it a month or so ago.  "You really should read it."  Then a couple of weeks ago at our joint garage sale I heard him tell fellow sailors "it's a good book.  Very motivating."  I finished up my current book "Nica's Dream" and thought what the heck.  It was easy reading (unlike Nica's Dream where I constantly had to look up words - thank goodness Kindle has this feature).  It was entertaining and the characters interesting.  I like Lin's style of writing as she paints a very detailed picture without being overly wordy.  However, it wasn't until I well over half way through the book that I really started to get into it.  I was cheering for them to complete the boat.  I understood the distractions of the people and place they were.  I felt the pull of two different worlds as they worked to get back to the sea and their life adventuring while feeling comfortable in the home they had established on land.
Yesterday was not a very productive day for me.  We have SO much to do to wrap up our land life and move aboard and I was very frustrated with myself that I didn't accomplish much.  I vowed last night to do better today.  As I lay there reflecting this morning on what I had read, I found renewed focus to move ahead towards our next phase of life.    

No comments:

Post a Comment