Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Scary

Crazy ride into Spanish Town in BVI's
When we tell people we are planning on going cruising they usually say something about fear and being scared.  "Aren't you afraid of pirates?"  "I would be SO scared to sail on the ocean, aren't you?"  "Doesn't it scare you to sail out of sight of land?  Or at night?  Or in a storm?"
Sailing is safe compared to this wild ride into town
Scared?  No.  At least not to date.  However we have had some exciting, heart pumping times while sailing.  Like our romping sail to Bermuda with storms each night - my watch of course.  All of our senses were on high alert when s/v Honey Ryder's engine wouldn't start and a gigantic cargo ship blew his horn warning us to get out of the way NOWOMG!  And our pulses quickened when the current caught our keel and pinned us against the dock in Charleston.  But I wouldn't say these were scary times....just highly exciting times.  No, what scares me is two fold.  One is leaving the security of our current life, having a steady pay check coming in, insurance, benefits, etc...And I know even that is not guaranteed but it has been there so far for the past 23 years.  We have planned for this day for a long, long time.... but it's still weird feeling to be leaving normal behind.  The second, and greater thing that scares me is the fear of staying...that somehow something will happen and we won't go.  I think Madonna put it best in her song JUMP "I am not afraid of what I'll face but I am afraid to stay."  I realize these two fears are somewhat polar opposites but there you have it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment