Saturday, April 13, 2013

New Skills and the Wearing of Hats


As part of the shift to become liveaboards, I learned to cut Tom's hair the other night.  OMG!  I have been SO nervous for this day.  Tom has really great hair and I was in no hurry to take over the cutting of it for fear of really butchering it. I have even suggested more than once that perhaps he should just grown it out and wear it in a ponytail like sailors of yesteryear. Granted Tom has been cutting my hair for at least 2 years now,  but it's easy - straight across the back....easy pleasy.  So last night it was my turn.  His hair chick showed up to give me the lesson.  I opted to just watch and take notes vs actually trying it.  I figured one last "official" correct cut was best.  We reviewed and I talked through the process a couple of times trying to commit it to memory.  The next time it needs cutting we will most likely be aboard and cruising.  If you see us in an anchorage and Tom never takes off his hat, you will know.....I have been cutting his hair.  Many thanks to his hair chick (term used to protect her identity and reputation) attempting to teach me the basics. 

3 comments:

  1. Take lots of photos of the cut, for your guidance in future and in case you do want to have some pro do the cut before a big event. Its great that the "hair chick" was willing to teach you. You are rapidly moving into cruiser mode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I wish I had taken pics but I was really trying to focus. Oh well. An uneven cut won't show when were under sail so we best get under sail soon after the next hair cut. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just now getting a chance to catch up on your many blog posts since we've been in NC. I have been cutting Barry's hair for years, and although he doesn't have much left, it can be challenging with the layering and such. I finally discovered that using hair clippers was a thousand times easier than trying to do it with scissors, not to mention faster! I watched a few YouTube videos, read the instructions that came with the clippers, and went for it. Helps that he likes his hair quite short! Good for you for learning this new skill -- will definitely help when you're on the high seas, though on a moving boat I don't know if I'd chance it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete