Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sadness and Grief - How Do Ex-Pats Handle It

I apologize, I didn't have a pic of our flag at half staff.  I personally took this pic in DC. 

The events Monday at the Boston Marathon are so sad and shocking.  When things like this happen , I think as a nation we momentarily stop in utter disbelief and then band together to get through it as best we can.
I was out running errands and didn't know that anything had happened until I stopped by an appliance parts store.  From the front of the store, I could hear the 3 guys that worked there talking about the Boston Marathon.  I didn't even realize it was "Marathon" day.  I quickly (and incorrectly) guessed that these 3 middle aged, middle shaped guys must have a friend running in it as they didn't strike me as guys that would take a huge interest in this marathon nor any other marathon.  So, they must be interested because of a friend or maybe even a co-worker.  Then I realized they had a radio on in the background and were getting info on the marathon.  Yep, they MUST have a friend running in the marathon....I mean who listens to the radio about the Boston Marathon?!  The final four?  Yes. Superbowl?  Yes.  But the Marathon?  I don' think so unless it's personal.  Then it dawned on me....marathon coverage on the radio.....somethings wrong.  I asked them and they told me that two blasts were reported and many were hurt but not much more was known as it had just happened in the last 30 mins.  I lingered listening with them to gather as much information as I could - which was very little.  A few quiet, nervous comments were made as I complete my business and then rushed out to my car and my own radio to try to get more information.
Unfortunately I have experienced this before...we all have, a tragic event on the national level happens in the middle of our busy, normal day. We stop what we are doing to gather information and try to comprehend, often in the company of strangers.  We huddle around a break room TV, or in the corner of coffee shop squeezed in to see some strangers laptop screen of the streaming news videos. Or even in the back of an old appliance parts stores-near the radio.....whatever happened, it's horrific but comfort seems to come ever so slightly in being with others, fellow countrymen as we try to make sense of the senseless.  I've seen pics of strangers holding hands, lending a shoulder to weep on or even hugging. 
It got me thinking....How do cruisers deal?  They aren't getting instant, 24/7 news.  How do you deal with a national tragedy when you are out there alone?
I am so very proud of all the reports of courage and kindness that took place immediately after the blasts and are still occurring.   

No comments:

Post a Comment