Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Portlight Shades - Modification

In the up position for maximum light
With the clouds and rain of the afternoon, there wasn't a lot of natural light coming in the closed portlights.....thus the nap.  At least that is my story and I am sticking to it! 
I measured in about 6" to 7" in from edge
I decided to modify the design to add an elastic piece to the underside of each so the cover could be held up even when the portlight is closed thus letting natural light in.
A little over an inch, I put a flame to each end to seal them a bit
The fabric I used for the shades is lightweight enough and yet has some structure so it will stand up a bit when raised. So just like the sailors on Columbus's ships, below in the dim light hand sewing, I sat hand sewing as well.
Port side shades get it sewn on right, starboard on the left
However unlike Columbus and his boyz, I was snug and comfie in s/v Honey Ryder with my halogen lights (no, we have not made the jump/investment to LED) while I jammed away to tunes on our kickass Fusion stereo.
Viola!  Light!
Oh yeah....and I am not swilling rum making up stories that I discovered a new continent unlike Columbus (never mind the explorers that were here before plus the Indians that lived here!)  *For the previous post on this project from the start, click Portlight Shades.

1 comment: