Tuesday, October 9, 2012

AIS VHF FCC MMSI

Still waiting for SH to update their manual - hint, hint SH!!!!
WXYZ...now we've said our ABC's.....  I met marine electronics Guru Lester on s/v Honey Ryder so we could review the re-installation of our AIS VHF with the new FCC issued MMSI number.   (Anyone want a BoatUS MMSI number?  I've got one to sell). We also did a review of our radar.  It wasn't working on our trip down from Charleston.  I was pretty sure it was a user error-meaning me.  But even with the manual open I couldn't figure it out.  It seemed there was a step missing to get it to come on...the radar part.  Turns out I was right.  The step.....having the radar actually connected!  It had been disconnected behind the panel.  Ah-ha.  We had a discussion of "best practices" on the radar use, viewing mode and when we are away from the boat for extended periods. We wrapped up our marine electronics discussions by reviewing the SSB antenna.  We decided to move it up.  More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment