Friday, December 20, 2013

Caneel Bay Wildlife

Some of the wildlife in and around Caneel Bay USVI.
Below is from my snorkel yesterday morning. 
 
This fish was about 3 ft long and very big around.


This poor stingray had a fish hanging around on top of him/her that just wouldn't leave it alone.

This stingray didn't seem to have a stinger tail. It is the second one I have seen that has a stubby tail.  Hum?  Do/can they lose them?  Do they grow back? 

I think this is a really big sea cucumber but I am not 100% sure.  Still learning.  It was about a foot long.  Sort of reminded me of something off an old Star Trek episode the way it moved.

This flat fish (flounder?) changed color as his background changed.  Above he is in sand.  Below- can you see him?  He blends into the coral/rock but is basically in the center of the pic.  It was so fascinating to watch. 
 
Deer.  I have NO idea where they came from or how they got to St John but we saw deer today. It was sort of weird.  We also saw what are supposedly feral donkeys but they were on fancy Caneel Bay Resort property and seemed pretty content to munch straw that someone had put out for them.
Deer - not on golf course but manicured grounds

Deer next to water sports shed just off Honeymoon Beach
 As we hiked further  we saw a massive termite nest/mound.  *Sorry for the duel pic.  I hit some button on my new camera by accident and ended up with this special effect - double vision.
 
On our return hike we stumbled onto an amazing fight between a mongoose and iguana.  It was really something to see.  I took video for a good portion.  Spoiler alert - it didn't not end well for the iguana.  Sorry if it's shaky and such.  I didn't edit it down.  I know I should be it's late, the power on the laptop battery is running down and frankly I am lazy.  *I told you I would edit the dolphin video from earlier this fall in Charleston SC and have you seen it yet?  NO.  Best you suffer through the raw vs wait for the edited to come....never.   
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment