Thursday, December 5, 2013

Peter Island BVI's

Leverick Bay
Tuesday 12-03-13 We departed Leverick Bay in North Sound and had a leisurely sail down to Peter Island.  We anchored in Deadman's Harbor.  With a hard sand/grassy bottom, it took us three tried to get anchored and even then when we dove on the anchor, it wasn't buried as deep as we would like.  The harbor has a picture perfect shoreline.  We couldn't wait to go exploring/snorkeling the next morning as it was 5'ish by the time we got set.  Of course the wind came up over night.  And of course we swung the ONE way that I really didn't want to - opposite the anchor set and directly in front of a neighboring Canadian boat.  I spent a fitful night up and down checking our position and keeping an eye out for the boat behind us.....which was not easy to do as they had NO anchor light on.  We set an anchor alarm but who really needs that when I am onboard!  Just call me anchor alarm Sabrina!!  It's exhausting but I really can't help it.  
The next morning we awoke to cloudy skies.  I popped in the water to check out anchor and have a short snorkel.  I didn't get beyond the anchor.  With each wave/gust we were slowing dragging 6"to8" at a time.  I jumped back aboard as the winds really started piping up.  We had planned to change anchorages later in the day anyway so we pulled up our dragging anchor and headed out around the corning.  No sooner had Tom gotten the anchor up than then a hefty squall came through.  We motored around into Great Harbor.  It was really blowing rain so we decided to pick up a mooring ball vs trying to anchor.  This was a good choice.
The rain stopped but it remained cloudy and windy until late afternoon.  However this was ok as we just settled in and took it easy.  I read an entire book start to finish!  It was wonderful...not the book....it was a good book but reading all day was awesome.  It's been at least 5 years since I have read a book start to finish in one day.  I never took the time because I never felt like I could.  After dinner the wind dropped completely off and it was super still and silent.  We sat in the cockpit listening to all the various birds and goats in the surrounding hills and looking out across Drake Channel to the pretty lights of Tortola.
This morning we had another squall come through.  After it passed the sky was still overcast, however I couldn't stand it any longer.  I had to get in the water.  The previous day I watched pelican's diving along the shore as I read in the cockpit.  I knew something was in the water over there so I put on my gear and snorkeled over there.  Colorful coral and fish of all types.  It was very kewl!
We are back on board now as another light squall passes through.  We plan to drop our mooring and head for Normal Island....I think.  We'll see.   

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way. No sleep if the anchor is questionable. What anchor are you using?

    ReplyDelete