Friday, July 12, 2013

Fun Night at the Movies


Tom discovered that the Golden Isles Arts and Humanities Council would be showing 5 classic movies over the summer at the historic Ritz Theater in downtown Brunswick.  Last night was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  However it wasn't just a showing of the film.  It was an interactive evening.  People were encouraged to participate from dressing in character to singing along - lyric sheets were provided with our $5 ticket charge.  Yes, only $5 each for the movie!  AND free popcorn was available along with Hersey's Kisses!!  We checked out works by regional artist as we entered the seating area.  Cartoon shorts, old advertisement's and classic humorous shorts were playing prior to the film.  The timeless "I Love Lucy - Candy Factory" episode got the biggest laugh.  The director of the Golden Isles Arts and Humanities herself was dressed up as Willy Wonka.  She hosted the costume contest.  Three kids were dressed up - one as Charlie (I thought he should have won but he came in 3rd), Violet (she came in 2nd) and an Oompa Lummpa (she came in 1st - her green sprayed hair was impressive).  We had each gotten a numbered ticket when we purchased our $5 movie ticket.  (Still in shock it was only $5!)  Next Willy (the arts director) had a drawing for several prizes donated by local merchants.  While we didn't win, it was a terrific way to build energy leading into the movie. 

We enjoyed seeing the movie again.  Many did indeed sing along especially to the various Oompa Loompa cautionary tunes....."Ooompa Loompa doompety doo.  I've got another puzzle for you.  Oompa Lumpa dommpety dee.  If you are wise you'll listen to me." 

The movie was well attended with the theater well over 3/4 full with many families in attendance.  I don't there will be that many families in attendance next week for Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho."  Personally I am looking forward to "Breakfast at Tifffany's" in two weeks as I have never seen it.  "Saturday Night Fever" would be a hoot given the high cheesy factor but we hope to be north of Brunswick by then.  We didn't partake in the pre-movie special offered at Fox's Pizza.....while we are retired and I dig a good discount, I refuse to start eating at the early bird specials hour of 4pm or even 5pm!  We did however partake in the post movie free beer (one per movie ticket) at Tipsy McSways.  It was a really fun evening. 

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like fun -- and such a good price! Willy Wonka is one of my favorite movies of all times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willy Wonka always scared me. I tell people it was the first scary movie I ever saw. I still don't like gum, because I'm afraid I will blow up into a big balloon like Violet! That being said, it sounds like a great event and summertime activity!

    ReplyDelete