Saturday, July 27, 2013

Flushing of Systems


I had no idea that freezer and refrigeration systems had to be flushed periodically to wash out any scale build up.  Seawater cooled systems that is.  It makes sense when you think about it, I just had never sat around and thought about it.

Tom flushed the freezer system out the other day.  Judging from the gross water that came, I would guess the previous owners didn't think much about flushing either.  So this will get added to our yearly maintenance list.  FYI - flushing stuff is $$$!  I know it's not terribly exciting and or pretty like a sunset but it's important.  Have your flushed your boat systems lately?

2 comments:

  1. Flushing is a great idea! I hadn't thought of it, like you, for the refrigeration systems. I wonder if vinegar would work...we use it in the heads to descale the calcium. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, I don't know if vinegar would work like it does on the head. I will have to do some investigating.

      Delete