Sunday, June 9, 2013

Galley Project - Hanging Fruit and Veggie Basket


Holds quite a bit but things get easily bruised
We have been using a basic produce hammock but often the produce gets a bit smashed.  Especially underway with the hammock swinging to and fro.
Protects the produce much better
There is a Sewing Group - boat canvas projects on Cruisers Forum.  I saw this really terrific hanging fruit and veggie basket idea on there.  There was a link to The Boat Galley and the idea came from Jackie Bartz
I bought the baskets at one of the dollar stores and Tom drilled the holes for me. 
Figure 8 stopper knot to kick it all off

I wasn't really sure of the measurements for the line so I just made it up as I went along.  I ended up with 8" in between each basket and 20" on top just so I would have extra as I play around with placement. 
I don't have any plans to add the netting just yet.  I want to wait and see how this goes first.  Once I find the right place for it, I am going to anchor the bottom down to reduce swing.   

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! Crafty and practical all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to think of it, the project was "crafty". Who would have thought I would be doing "crafts" on the boat so soon. ha!

      Delete