Sunday, March 25, 2018

Where Are You From

sv Honey Ryder

December 2017

A funny thing happened when we bused to the beach. 

It was a fairly good size group so we had two buses (van) full of cruisers.  I assumed we were all cruisers.  We piled out and started down towards the beach.  It was advised that if we wanted lunch, we should let them know now so they would know how many to plan for.  As we stood in line to put our name in for lunch, a woman I did not know said to me "Where are you from?"  I answered as I always do, "Hi.  I am Sabrina from sv Honey Ryder?"  She looked at me funny and said again  "Hi.  Where are you from?"  To which I responded a tad slower, "I am from sv Honey Ryder."  She cocked her head to the side, made a funny face and then said slowly and loudly "You cruisers talk funny.  WHAT- COUNTRY- ARE- YOU FROM?"  Then I realized, she wasn't a cruiser.  She was asking where I am from as in country.  "Oh, oh.....sorry.  I thought you were a cruiser.  I am from the US, Kansas."

You see, as cruisers, we identify ourselves and each other by boat.  I am "Sabrina from sv Honey Ryder."  That is how I introduce myself to fellow cruisers and they do the same.  We eventually get around to where we are from country wise after we answer the important standard questions covering what type of vessel we are on, where we have been and how long we have been cruising.  We rarely get around to what we did in our past life (land life) and we never get around to last names.  Those just aren't important, besides, last names are on boat cards if we really need to know. 

"Hi.  I'm Sabrina from sv Honey Ryder?  And you?"    

1 comment:

  1. Funny! As RVers we get asked all the time where we are from. I kinda hate it because it's a complicated question to answer. Do they mean where we were born, grew up, lived most of our lives (all NC for me, but Barry is Ohio for the first two and NC for the latter question). Or where we are from NOW? As full-time travelers, we are Florida "residents", legally, but in actuality we don't "live" anywhere. We spend most of our time of late in Florida, but we have also spent a lot of time in Mexico, Belize, and North Carolina over the past few years, among other spots. We spent three months in Washington state, does that count? This question gives me fits! Most typical people have no trouble answering, but we sure do.

    ReplyDelete