Monday, May 13, 2013

Rear View Mirror -Sleep Vacation


*Current lack of sleep as we sprint towards moving aboard prompted me to dig out this draft I wrote last fall.
Oct 2012 Very early this morning on a flight from Atlanta to Jacksonville, I met a couple, similar in age that are headed to St John in the USVI for a week's vacation.  We exchanged a few pleasantries and then they both promptly fell asleep.  Did I mention it was really early?  Really, really early!  We landed and as we waited to deplane, I wished them a good vacation. She thanked me and then said "looking forward to just sleeping."  I acknowledged and we went our separate ways.  I headed north towards s/v Honey Ryder.  However, it got me thinking about vacations and life in 2012.  I think we all look forward to vacation time.  Some vacations are spent action packed whether it's four jam packed days at various theme parks in Orland (personally my idea of hell on earth, but that is just me) while others go skiing, kayaking, hiking, camping, etc.  Some vacations are very event specific like the Annapolis Sailboat Show or the boat shopping whirlwind trips we took 2 1/2 yrs ago....you get the idea.  Yet, I think we have all taking those vacations where we did very little other than sleep.  Sleep in late, at the pool, on the beach,  on the boat (cruise ship), afternoon naps, etc....  So is where we have gotten to as a society?  We now go on holiday to catch up on our sleep?  Are we over extending ourselves to that point?  Are we packing too much into a single day?  Do we really HAVE to or do we just feel like we have to?  And if so, what does that say about the quality of that busy, busy day?  Hum?  Yawn- well off to bed, even though I had a little boat nap late this afternoon.  *Did I mention that it was really really early this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment