Thursday, March 15, 2012

Rosetta Stone Me Baby

I have wanted to learn Spanish for the past 15 + years.  Several halfass attempts have been made trying various tools such as flip cards (yeah - that long ago), cassette tapes, CD's, and podcasts.  All failed.  I can swear in Spanish, using a few choice words I learned long ago from Hispanic classmates but not much else.  See, I grew up in a town with a big Hispanic population and many Hispanic friends.  So what second language did I decide to study in school?  French!  Because that might come in handy in the middle of the high plains - sometimes referred to as BumF* nowhere! Clever, non?  NO!

Flash forward to now and my wonderful ESS (Evil Sailing Sista) Kim.  She learned of my desire and graciously loaned me her Rosetta Stone French and Spanish.  Have you seen the price of Rosetta Stone?  $$$.  As the saying goes....sailing isn't cheap but sailors are!  HA!  I decided to start with the French, thinking that perhaps hearing French again might blow out some of the cobwebs in my brain and bring back the 5 years of French I took in school (many, many moons ago).  And while it's been a while since I stayed at a Holiday Inn, I have consumed my share of French wine - well ok, not necessarily French wine but wine in general...so that should help bring the French language back up to the surface right?
I also decided that I really need to commit to weekly study.

Well let me tell you, it ROCKS!  The method is totally kewl and works.  I am only 3 weeks in but I am getting it and actually retaining a bit. " Look out Eastern Caribbean Islands that speak French -Voici que je viens" (here I come).  Or at the very least "look out" Tom and Larry (un chat) - my personal French guinea pigs (les cochons d'lnde) around the house.   *By the way.....please note my use of the French language in the preceding blog entry - Coastal Navigation Class Deja Vu

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I was diligent about doing my Pimsleur Spanish lessons when we first moved down here, but I have seriously fallen off the wagon lately. Need to get back to it, just as soon as March Madness is behind us. We were able to use a little of it in Guatemala, but our skills are woefully limited. I took French in high school, like you, and Barry took German. Neither are of any use whatsoever in Central America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm with Emily, after this March Madness stuff is over, I'll really ..... do something? Clean house, clean lake boat, whoops, finish lake boat projects, do homework? We'll see.

    Glad you are enjoying the Rosetta Stone, I can't say enough about it either. FYI--blogger followers, there's a online version that you can pay a subscription to also.

    No, I'm not a paid spokesperson, but like Emily, I've tried Pimsleur, Barron's, 4 years college study, and this seems to stick better for some reason.

    ReplyDelete