Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Potential New Friend - Let The Stalking Begin


So here is the story of the day....

I was doing research to get our passports renewed here.  I realized that I did not have the US Embassy - Trinidad info in my phone.  I always have local US Embassy info in my phone.  Along with contact info, I usually put the ambassador info in there too.  Ready for the kicker?.....The current Chargé d'Affaires "ad interim"  for Trinidad is John McIntyre.  Before his foreign service work he got his masters at KU and worked for the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.  I know, right!  

So of course I immediately think "we should be friends with this guy."  Of course there was no email available.  I thought about sending a fax as that number is posted.  But that seemed....weird/creepy.  I know, I know....I realize the irony but hang in there with me!   More internet research was needed.  Marina internet was rubbish so I cut and ran for the local bar.  Hey, don't judge.  Their internet is fast.  

Back to John.  I quickly found some additional info.  He is on Linkedin.  I hate Linkedin.  I am on it because of my previous life.  Forced thing.  After leaving land life I changed my profile (if you can call the scarce info I have there a profile) to say Sailing Instructor ASA because I got sick of people (headhunters) trying to connect with me via Linkedin.  It has been so long since I logged on, I didn't have record of my password.  I got a new password and logged in.  I soon found the correct John McIntyre.  Dum-dum-dum......

YES -- I sent him a message.  Of course I did.  You all KNEW I did!!  It was short....there are only so many characters allowed.  I told him basic stuff - USA/KS sailors currently in Chag for hurricane season.  I noticed he spent time in KS and that there were many USA sailors in Chag.  I told him he should come visit us out in Chag.  Then I threw in a "Go Chiefs!" just for fun.  We shall see what comes of this.  Maybe I should have invited him to come “lime” with us ex-pats in Chag, you know….use the local lingo.  But then again, maybe not.  His foreign service record says he has been a “few” places so maybe good ol' Merican is what I should have used.     

Oh shit!.....while typing this power has gone out.  Ah yes....life in the Caribbean.  Never boring.   Of course internet is gone too.  I guess I am posting this later.    

So anyway, we shall see what comes of my stalking....er.....contact.  



No comments:

Post a Comment