Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Happy Indigenous People Day


Oct 9th 2017
Happy Indigenous People Day!  Yes, I am one of those.  I couldn’t be happier that the second Monday of October is now being celebrated as Indigenous People Day.  I have long thought Christopher Columbus was a hack.  Even back in grade school I couldn’t understand how Columbus “discovered” what is now the USA when there were people here.  Huh?  “But Miss Salter, that doesn’t make sense.”  “Be quiet Sabrina.  This is history.”  
Too harsh?

I have since learned (through various books) that while he sailed across the ocean blue but he didn’t not discover ANYTHING.  He had MAPS!  Yep, ole Chris followed maps to the Caribbean and then up to America.  We followed maps when we drove down through the southern states in 2013, does that mean Tom and I “discovered” Dixie?  I think not.
Bahahaha

So through the years, while I was glad to have the official day off, I always thought it was ridiculous and actually came to begrudge Columbus Day.  It just seems like a false/fake day.  And how in the hell did it become a national holiday (in 1937 BTW).  It also cracks me up that Italians grabbed on to it and celebrated also, since Columbus sailed under the Spanish flag!  I know, they chose it to celebrate their Italian heritage.  I just find that odd.  Of course it is not celebrated here in the Caribbean – that would be a slap in the face. 
Hum????

I didn't even remember it Columbus Day today until I saw there was an announcement that Kansas City Missouri City Council declared October 9th 2017 as Indigenous People Day.  I thought, yay, a real news story and traction for this.  I am not sure how far this shift in thinking has gone.  (I hate to call it a movement because people seem to bristle at the term.)  Apparently there are now over 50 major cities that celebrate Indigenous People Day vs Columbus Day.  When I did follow up research, there were several stories.  I don’t know what is taught in school these days.  I hope it is Indigenous People Day, perhaps along with some information about a crazy Italian guy who got a bunch of money from the Queen of Spain (because his own refused to give him $) and went adventuring across the sea, meeting new people and exploring - NOT discovering, new to him lands.  This allows proper celebration and still fosters the imagination of the dreamers and would be adventurers in the classroom. 


*Special Note – While reading this to Tom and discussing I asked “Seriously, how did Columbus Day become a holiday in the USA?”  Tom suggested “We are just as nuts for holidays.  Nearly as much as the Trini’s”  HA!  Trini’s LOVE their holidays and they have a ton of them.  Hee hee.  BTW - This Friday October 13th is "First People's Day" - a one off holiday here.    

**  I understand that Chrissy perhaps did discovered some additional details - coves, anchorages and such.....maybe......although I still think the locals would best know all the ends and out of their island(s)! 

1 comment:

  1. They did the same thing in Austin. We no longer celebrate Columbus Day it is now Indigenous People Day here too! I thought it was only Austin that did this! Who knew!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete