Sunday, October 1, 2017

On The Front Lines Of Climate Change

Picture via FB Gallery Cafe in Carriacou


Sept 29th 2017
I am going to be political.  If you don't want or like that, don't read.  I am only going to publish limited comments if I receive any, and I will pick and chose comments I do publish.  This is my/our blog and I get to do that.  If you don't like it, write your own blog.

So much debate, truths, lies, controversy, and emotion surrounding climate change.  We are not going to talk specifics.  I just want to say that if you don't believe in climate change and you visit the Caribbean, keep that opinion to yourself.  These people are living climate change every day!  A few island elders have shared this first hand knowledge with us personally.  If you do visit and it comes up, perhaps instead of debating and trying to express YOUR side, maybe just listen.  Ask questions, gain another perspective based on experience. 

The Prime Minister of Dominica flew out of hurricane ravaged Dominica - where his own roof was ripped off during the storm - to address the United Nations on climate change.  His speech was articulate, passionate and from first hand experience aka the front lines.  You can read it HERE.  I hope you do.

Finally, I saw what I think is a brilliant response to most climate change debates.  I am only sorry I don't remember where or who posted this.  It went something like this....."Regardless of whether you think/believe climate change is real or not, shouldn't we want and strive towards clean air and water?"  Yes, yes we should.  End of debate.


3 comments:

  1. You don't have to publish this comment, but I think that anyone who doesn't "believe" in climate change is living in a huge state of denial and is basically stating that they don't "believe" in science. Ridiculous, especially given the evidence that occurring all over the world. I just have no patience for ignorance and head-in-sand approaches to this critical issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sabrina, I love you and your up-front and honest self. From my experience, the southeast US coast is also experiencing climate change in a very personal and real way. We got the outer bands from then Tropic Storm Irma and in my little bay we had worse water/storm surge than my neighborhood experienced during our landmark direct hit Cat 4 Hurricane Hugo in 1989. I wonder what I can do as an individual to help...besides turn off the lights when I leave a room! The problem feels so big and sometimes I feel so small.

    ReplyDelete