Monday, January 31, 2011

Planes, Trains and Automoblies Cont.

New advice to those trying out various modes of transportation. When calling for a taxi, be sure it's a taxi and not a shared ride. Clarify how many are in your party and call early.
I didn't do any of these - except I thought I was calling early enough but no.The car (Lincoln town car) finally arrived at the Oyster Shack to take us to the airport (after I called 3 times) with the driver, two paying passengers (we found out later) and very, very, very larger fellow co-worker ( think John Candy size in the movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles) in the front passengers seat. *I am not passing judgement, just stating her size because it meant no one else could squeeze in the middle of the front seat. "Ya all didn't tell us there would be more than one." We couldn't wait for another taxi as we would miss our plane. We threw our stuff in the trunk and pile in the back. I sat on Cap10 Tom's lap with my neck cranked sideways and head smashed against the roof the the town car. The fellow co-worker in the front passengers seat told painfully uninteresting and non-funny but tried to be funny stories. The first passenger, a teenage kid was dropped at his job at Winn Dixie. He didn't have the fare so we had to wait while he ran in and got the $ from the ATM. Our plane leaves soon. I am stressed inside but now have room to move. Second passenger is dropped at her job at Wendy's. Now we head to the airport but take the back roads supposedly because of traffic. I start to panic. I don' t know this route. It seems longer. Our plane will leave soon and it's the last one on this Sunday night. Seconds become minutes and the stories are even less interesting and so NOT funny. Oh god, where is my Greyhound bus when I need it. I might actually need it tomorrow if we don't get to the airport soon. Finally we reach the airport and then our cab driver and fellow co-worker pull a fast one by hemming and hawing on the cost for us - no meter on this fun filled shared ride. The other passengers each paid $5 each. I am trying to get out of the back so I can rush to the gate but my side is locked. Cap10 Tom shoves a $20 at them and we bolt out his side just making the deadline to get our boarding passes. If you are in Brunswick GA DO NOT use Affordable Cab! Call Island Cab. He is kewl, on time and plays Bob Marley tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment