Sunday, November 24, 2013

Goodbye to Old Rusty

Tom here -
Rusty in Morehead City NC

It carried so many groceries, boat parts, cases of various assorted beverages, and saved my back from walking to the shower house.  It allowed me to explore the cities of Brunswick and Morehead City, both of which aren’t particularly pedestrian friendly for various reasons.   I put quite a few miles on it and never had a single problem - a credit to the previous owner who was meticulous with maintenance.  This was evident when looking at his spotless 38’ Selene trawler.  As you recall from a July posting, this trawler owner had purchased new 20” folding bikes for himself and his wife and no longer had a use for the rusty full size folding bike that had been strapped to the aft deck.  While he was wheeling the bike in the direction of the marina dumpster, Sabrina intercepted and mentioned I was looking for a bike and would love to have it.  He explained it was getting a bit too rusty for his liking and thought it was “unsafe” but I thought it was just fine.  I considered the rust to be a “protective coating” and a theft deterrent.  Yes, I had a free bike! 

Well, after riding Old Rusty all over Brunswick and Morehead City it was time to say goodbye to the 26” Dahon Mariner full size folding bike.  While it folds, it still takes up quite a bit of room and is difficult to manage when storing in our aft cabin.  We decided that stowing bikes onboard isn’t such a great idea if your next destination is the Caribbean, so both bikes had to go just before the passage to the BVI.  In the case of the blue bike, I needed to pass it on to another boater.  I refused to accept money for it since I don’t want to screw up the good Karma that’s been associated with it.  It’s now in the possession of a fellow boater who was a dock neighbor in Morehead City.  Galen and his family are liveaboards and have been extremely generous and helpful, so I know the bike is in good hands.  Can’t say how many other times people have “paid it forward” for us, but I’m guessing it’s been happening more than we know.  It just feels good to help other people in this way and it’s one of the reasons the cruising community is so great to be a part of.    Tom
PS- folding bike Ms Moneypenny found a new home in Morehead City as well.  Farewell Ms Moneypenny!

2 comments:

  1. That bike was considered unsafe? Yikes! What the heck am I riding on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rusty and Ms. Moneypenny are doing great. Road Rusty last Thursday 6 mile round trip to go eat Thanksgiving lunch with KB (Kiersten Bennett). She rides like a charm. It is so cute when me and KB go for a ride and we pass people walking they always look with a cute smile. I am sure the smile is directed at KB riding Ms. Moneypenny as you can imagine. We appreciate your generosity and when that time come she will be "paid forward". Hope all is well and you guys are having fun.

    Galen

    ReplyDelete