Saturday, December 1, 2012

Sabrina's Sail Loft - Open for Business Again

The long Thanksgiving weekend proved the perfect time to open the sail loft again for some quick canvas projects.  But are canvas projects ever quick?  Mine don't seem to be.  And do you spend more time sewing or ripping out?  I wonder....hum?
  Prority was to finish up the padded bag for Ms Moneypenny (folding bike).
Padded vinyl will hopefully allow me to grease Ms Moneypenny when she is folded down for storage on the boat to help cut down on rust.
Usually when Sabrina's Sail Loft opens, I take over a good portion of the basement TV room....stuff spread out everywhere.  I tend to leave it out until I get whatever project(s) done.  This can be for....ahem....a while.  It's easy to hit a tough spot on a project and loose steam.
This time I decided to force myself to focus and complete the project.  I asked Tom to lug my Sailrite machine  (sucker is seriously heavy) upstairs to the dining room table.  It worked.  I didn't spread out beyond the dining room table and I really focused.
So much so, I completed the bag in one day.  I had previously measured and cut it out with a test sew.  So of course the first thing I had to do was rip that out (sigh) before I could make adjustments and put in the zipper.

It went so well that I decided to launch another project -Courtesy Flags.  It's a "someday" project as in someday we will hopefully use them, if not...then I will sell them on Ebay.

First challenge was to come up with a master pattern.  After that, I developed the design and construction strategy of each flag.  It was engaging and fun.
 Overall I did more sewing than ripping so it was a good project.

I used a couple of handy iPad apps (Flags Free and WorldWiki) to get the flag designs.  FYI - WorldWiki is an interesting app that has kewl country info.
 
All in all, I got 6 Courtesy Flags completed.

And I only tied up the dining room table for a week.  Not too bad.
   

2 comments:

  1. Those flags look great - very professionally done! And I bet your bike bag is much nicer than the ones that came with our Bike Friday. However, that white interior is not likely to stay so nice. Ours are black, for good reason (bike grease...cough). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black interior would be better but the price was right on the white interior. :)

    ReplyDelete