Saturday, September 22, 2012

FCC Licensing - Clear as Mud

As we started to tackle the FCC licensing for s/v Honey Ryder, more questions and confusion popped up than answers.  We needed to get a Ships Stations license and a Restricted Radio Operator license.  Two items, big deal.  But wait, don't we already have an MMSI number that we got when we installed VHF with AIS.  Yes, but we discovered that the MMSI number we got was a free one from BoatUS - like the Standard Horizon manual said to get - in the instruction manual.  O-Kay....how does that work with the FCC licensing.  It DOESN'T!  Let me repeat that.....it DOESN'T.  If you never plan to leave US waters then a free BoatUS MMSI is just fine and dandy.  However, if you ever have future plans to sail over to The Bahamas or Bermuda or down island, then the BoatUS MMSI is worthless.  The FCC does not recognize the free BoatUS MMSI number. 
VHF with AIS
Ok, simple enough.  Just get a new MMSI through the FCC and program it into the VHF with AIS.  MOST VHF units allow two different MMSI numbers to be programmed in before the unit has to be sent back to the factory for reset.  Whew!  We already used one on the first go so that leaves us one more.  Whew, again.  But wait.....further reading of the instruction manual it said BE VERY CAREFUL ENTERING THE MMSI NUMBER BECAUSE IT CAN ONLY BE ENTERED ONCE.   Did you get that, ONCE... as in one freaking time.  What genius thought this up!  I am told it's to keep theft of VHF radios down.  What F'ing ever!  I called Standard Horizon.  "Is there really only one time for MMSI entry?"  The guy said "No, (hope rises in me) but......(ugh, hope is dashed) you have to enter the MMSI twice thus using up both times."  WTF!  Argh!  So we had the unit yanked out and shipped back to the factory for clearing.  Double ARGH!!  I strongly suggested they add to instruction manual the item about any boat going offshore should get an FCC MMSI vs a free BoatUS MMSI - dumbasses! 
 http://www.fcc.gov/ - general site
Now the fun of registering with the FCC.  I used Captain Marti Brown's book Marine SSB Radio For "Idi-Yachts" to guide me through the licensing online.  BUY this book!   Nothing else I have read during my research made the licensing process as clear.
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do
Step #1 Register with the FCC's Universal Licensing System - get a number and password
Step #2  Apply for Ship Station License and pay the fee $100
Step #3 Apply for Restricted Radio License and pay the fee $60
Easy, right?  For the most part it was but I did have a bit of a search on the web site to find what I needed.  And I ended up calling the FCC twice to ask what I should or shouldn't be checking on the ships station license.  Both times I got right through to Dixie.  She was super helpful, nice and patience.  I got all the steps completed, printed off the confirmation numbers and then figured I would have to wait until at least Monday at the earliest to get my assigned licenses.  This is the government after all.  I logged on this morning just for fun and much to my surprise, we now have an official Ships Station License with FCC issued MMSI number and a Restricted Radio Operators License.  Woo Hoo!  Official at last.  Now we will get the new MMSI number programmed into the VHF and we can check all those items off the TO DO LIST.   


3 comments:

  1. If it were easy everyone would be doing it. Lol, congrats on the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urggh...I remember reading about all this. Since we thought we might take Logos to the Bahamas one day, we didn't get a free MMSI number, but we never got as far as doing the rest of it either. Glad you figured it out, rectified the situation, and are moving forward, as always! As s/v Veranda says above, if it were easy, everyone would be doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are making me feel better. I was thinking...."maybe it's just us." But I actually knew better from the number of questions and postings on various sailing chat groups and such.

    ReplyDelete